Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Japanese Emoticons

Recently it has been too cold to crawl out from under our kotatsu, meaning we haven't been doing much traveling outside the city. As I've sat huddled under blankets in front of our space heater I've had some time to keep in touch with a few of my Japanese friends through texts. It has been a very disturbing experience as I realized that even with my decent conversational Japanese skills I couldn't understand the texts at all. 顔文字, kaomoji, or Japanese emoticons, seem to be at the root of the problem.

Research has shown that culture is a huge factor in determining where you look when interpreting facial expressions. The Japanese are more prone to look at the eyes, whereas Americans look to the mouth to know whether someone is happy or sad, etc. This cultural phenomenon is perhaps most evident in emoticons. A typical American smiley face : ) and sad face : ( look thus. While the Japanese happy face (^_^) and sad face (;_;) look thus. In the American emoticons, the mouth changes to signal the mood, whereas in the Japanese kaomoji, the eyes change and the mouth remains the same. Here are some of the Japanese emoticons that stumped me when I first saw them:

1. (ToT)

2. m (_ _) m

3. (#^.^#)

4. _| ̄|○

5. ヽ(´ー`)┌

Can you match up the emotion with the emoticon?

A. depressed
B. mellow
C. crying
D. apologetic
E. shy

Go here for more fun with emoticons from the West and East alike.

12 comments:

Sandra said...

Wow Heather! How looonggga did it take to make this blog? You must have been working on it for days. Good work though and you gave me something to read in my off time. Thanks How did you get those colors on your music back ground? I can't understand your people counter? hahahahaha Do you? Also when one makes a comment it automatically shows. Love Ya and Miss Ya! Hi Tyler!

Unknown said...

Hi Heather and Tyler,

I'll keep this one brief since I've not posted a comment before and I want to know it works before sending a long message.

Anonymous said...

Here goes nothing...

1-C
2-D
3-E
4-A
5-B

BAM! Guess I aced that one. Keep blogging, Heather. I read everything you post. Hi, littleflame!

Unknown said...

I want to know more about the fossils found in your area, so will do some searching on that subject. Thanks for giving me a reason to try posting to a blog! There's snow in the mountains today, so roads are closed and no snail mail or out of town newspapers made it through.

Heather said...

littleflame - Thanks! I actually spent a few days working on my layout etc. before really posting. My music player has a "skin" on it. You can "attach" skins through the website we both used to create our playlists. Yes, I understand my people counter! You'll have to study up if you want to understand it too!

Heather said...

betsy - have you started a blog? I would LOVE to see it when you get it up! I would be very interested to know about fossils in our area too. I'm glad we're here in Japan. It is nice and sunny today!

tyler - great job! You mastered those emoticons!

Sandra said...

Hi Heather

I'm really lame. I can't seem to find the skins for the music. Could you please help me.

Have a great day!
Love and Hugs

Sandra said...

How come your music doesn't automatically start playing? Mine does. Did you make it that way?

Heather said...

littleflame - Yes, it was an option when I was generating the html code. It asked if I wanted the music to start automatically and I said no. Let me know if you don't see the option.

Unknown said...

Good morning,

I don't think I'm ready to create a blog as yet. What is the difference between a blog like yours and a myspace page?

Sandra said...

Man I missed the option too! That's okay. I like it to start when you arrive. hahahahaha I heard that a my space is for kids.

Heather said...

You can blog on either, but myspace was started for musicians originally. If you have a myspace account you have a better chance of knowing other people with one, I think. But I think blogs are less ad cluttered and more professional looking. You should check out the library's myspace and see how you like it.