Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Our Balcony Garden

One very sunny and warm day a few weeks ago, I happened upon a display of flowers for sale outside a shop. The weather was so unusually beautiful and the flowers so cheerful that I ended up buying a few. That moment of weakness resulted in a garden that takes up most of the space on our crowded balcony. I have yet to regret it, however, as I often find myself gazing at my potted flowers and wondering why I’ve never had any before.

In addition to the flowers, we decided to attempt growing some of the vegetables that we haven’t seen since the last time we shopped at Wal-Mart. Celery was at the top of our list, but as we browsed through the different kinds of seeds available we ended up getting some radishes and zucchini as well.

Of course my love for completely green, edible plants (i.e. herbs) is ever present, as I also planted some peppermint and parsley right by the door for easy, all day access.

Our herbs and vegetables really aren't too exciting yet, as the only green they're currently sporting is my plastic grass motif. We are, however, very much looking forward to watching our tiny garden grow in deliciousness over these next few months.

4 comments:

Sandra said...

It sure is difficult to read and see everyones gardening when I'm still under snow.

I'm glad that you posted your pictures of the flowers it makes me happy to see some.

Have you gotten a brown box in the mail yet???

Michael L. Carney said...

Never thought you would turn out with a green thumb especially after what I did to those poor little defenseless chipmunks in our garden in Red Lion, PA with that shovel.

Tsk Tsk

Heather said...

I think the real question here isn't whether I would plant a garden, but how I will respond to vermin that venture in. You've just shown me one traumatizing way of dealing with said vermin. :P

The Biglers said...

oh fun! i need to plant some flowers too now that the weather is turning nicer.