Thursday, June 19, 2008

Pass the Sugar, Please

The other evening we had the opportunity to have dinner with friends, hosted by a Japanese family. After a first-rate dinner of pork cutlets and gyoza, a light pudding was served for dessert. As I ate my pudding I couldn't help savoring the subtle hint of sweetness coming from the cream used to make the pudding. I thought to myself how well it was that I could enjoy a pudding that had such subtle flavors, especially for an American palate. I was just about to congratulate myself on finally adjusting to the non-sweet and often bland nature of Japanese cooking when the daughter of the family suddenly pushed her pudding away in disgust exclaiming, "I can't eat this! It's too sweet!" I was shocked and infinitely grateful that I'd kept my mouth shut. Her mother apologized to her daughter, saying, "I'm sorry, but because I knew foreigners were coming to dinner, I added more sugar than usual." I couldn't believe it. I ate the rest of my pudding slowly, trying with all my might to think it was too sweet. Needless to say, I failed miserably and spent the rest of the evening quietly pondering my inability to recognize sweetness when it was presented in such large quantities. What other flavors might I be no longer capable of tasting due to my years of overindulgence in Western society? Just some food for thought . . .

6 comments:

Sandra said...

I've gone on somewhat of a Sugar Diet. When I now get a Diet Pepsi I think it's the real thing because it taste so sweet. The only way I can really tell is how my body will react to it, unless I've gotten the drink myself. Different substitutes sweeten differently, but sugar gives your body a high and I can tell it by being off or cutting way back on the sugar. When I really miss the high, a couple of Oreo cookies do the trick. mmm O R E O cookies hahaha :)

Heather said...

Sounds like a sugar diet might be just what I need!

Mike and DellaBeth Carney said...

...that wasn't pork

Mike and DellaBeth Carney said...

When I was in Germany it was the same way...the pastries weren't as sweet as ours. Same in France and worse yet...same in Iraq.

What is our problem that we have to have so much sugar?

Mmmmm...sugar

Heather said...

Must be from all the years Americans spend as children pouring sugar on their frosted marshmallow cereal.

Terina said...

Ha ha we are on sugar over load here in the USA aren't we!