Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Narrow Road to the Deep North

Matsuo Basho (1644-1694)

Matsuo Basho continues to be recognized internationally for his brief and clear poetry depicting the seasons as well as his circumstances as he traveled throughout Japan. One such journey, recorded in his travel narrative titled "The Narrow Road to the Deep North" ended here in Ogaki. Here are a few highlights from his travels taken from this book and accompanied by photos from the area in Ogaki where he completed this journey.

Days and months are travelers of eternity. So are the years that pass by . . . I myself have been tempted for a long time by the cloud-moving wind - filled with a strong desire to wander (97).

Sumiyoshi Lighthouse

It was with awe
That I beheld

Fresh leaves, green leaves,

Bright in the sun (100).

Biten by fleas and lice,
I slept in a bed,
A horse urinating all the time
Close to my pillow (120).


Boat from Ogaki's years as a port town.

I am awe-struck
To hear a cricket singing

Underneath the dark cavity

Of an old helmet (134).


As firmly cemented clam-shells
Fall apart in autumn,

So I must take to the road again,

Farewell, my friends (142).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was interesting, Heather. I enjoyed reading it. What will I do when you stop posting? Love you.

Heather said...

Thank you! Even if I stop posting about Japan, I may yet find other journeys to post about . . .

Terina said...

So beautiful!! Can we visit you? HA HA

Heather said...

Of course! If you do it soon, that is.