Monday, May 19, 2008

Point Cards

It may be that I've forgotten a lot about everyday life in America, but I'm pretty sure we don't use these like the Japanese do. What we have here are point cards, or cards that you have stamped when purchasing goods or services from various establishments hoping to collect enough points to get some sort of discount or free item. Now, I know that these are used to some extent in the States because I'm fairly certain I can remember getting a stamp on a card for something somewhere at some point. The major difference, however, in my opinion, is how rampant their use is here. You can't shop anywhere without collecting a point card. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've collected more point cards than points. The above picture is a sampling of some of our cards which include haircuts, the cleaners, the movie theater, the grocery store, donuts, ice cream . . . I won't show you how many points we've collected on some of those. In some cases, instead of collecting points on a card, the establishment will keep track for you. For example, Pizza-La, our delivery pizza place will tell us every so often that we have (once again) earned free chicken nuggets or orange juice. Making use of the Japanese service industry is such a rewarding experience.

3 comments:

Sandra said...

Ooo I see they have B&R there too!hahaha

GG said...

I was just thinking what a beautiful collage your pictures of the cherry blossoms and water, etc. would make. I do not know of a place that does point cards around here although some in the past have used them and they punch a number so you know how many more you need to get the prize, "food", etc.

Terina said...

That is so intersting!