Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Conversations about Blood Type

To give you an idea of the prevalence of the notion.

Meeting A for the first time . . .

A: Hello, my name is A.
Me: I'm Heather, its' nice to meet you.
A: So . . . what's your blood type?
Me: Uh . . . I don't know . . . should I?
A: *shocked* Oh, um . . . *walks away confused*

I frantically research my blood type in preparation for the next encounter . . .

Having lunch with friend AB . . .

AB: How is your lunch?
Me: It's very good! This place is really nice.
AB: So, what's your blood type?
Me: *proudly* I'm a B negative!
AB: Oh . . . a B? That's not good . . .
Me: . . . Is there something wrong?
AB: Oh, I just don't get along with B's.
Me: Oh . . . sorry . . .
AB: You must not be a B. B types are loud and obnoxious.
Me: No, I think I'm a B.
AB: I know! You must be a BO instead of a BB! I don't get along with BB, but you must be BO. Are you?
Me: Um . . . I'm a B negative . . .?
AB: *blank stare* (muttering) You must be a BO . . .

I try to figure out what BO could stand for . . . and hope it isn't what it sounds like . . .

At a Cafe with friend AO . . .

Me: Do you believe in blood typing?
AO: It is a scientifically proven fact. I don't have to believe in it.
Me: O-kay . . . how do I find out if I'm a BO or a BB?
AO: How could you not know?
Me: *sighs* Guess I'm new to this.
AO: Well, all you have to do is *strange math calculation involving my parent's blood types* . . . then you would be a BO.
Me: . . .
AO: Or if you *more strange math using my parent's blood* . . . then you're probably a BB.
Me: . . .
AO: So what are you parent's blood types and I'll tell you what you are.
Me: . . . I don't know . . .

I consider trying to find out whether I am a BO or BB -- then I give up . . .

Conversation with my English student B . . .

Me: Do you judge people by their blood type?
B: Of course!
Me: *sigh* Well, what is your blood type?
B: I'm a B.
Me: Really? Me too!
B: Wow! We're really naughty!
Me: What?!
B: Having a B blood type is considered really bad in Japan because we're very independent and do everything at our own pace. It's just our personality . . .

These are all actual conversations I've had with Japanese friends about blood type. I could tell you a different one for every friend and most of the acquaintances I've had here. I once saw a statistic that said about 70 percent of Japanese believe that blood type determines personality. About 50 percent judge all their encounters with other people -- whether romantic, friendship or business related -- by blood type.

For those of you who actually know your blood type, here are the general personalities.

Type O:
Type O's are outgoing, and very social. They are initiators, although they don't always finish what they start. Creative and popular, they love to be the center of attention and appear very self confident.

Type A:
While outwardly calm, they have such high standards (perfectionists) that they tend to be balls of nerves on the inside. Type A's are the most artistic of the blood groups. They can be shy, are conscientious, trustworthy, and sensitive.

Type B:
Goal oriented and strong minded, type B's will start a task and continue it until completed, and completed well. Type B's are the individualists of the blood group categories and find their own way in life.

Type AB:
Type AB's are the split personalities of the blood groups. They can be both outgoing and shy, confident and timid. While responsible, too much responsibility will cause a problem. They are trustworthy and like to help others.

5 comments:

Terina said...

Wow that is kind of crazy. But is it really that different then all the americans who think zodiac signs really mean something?

Heather said...

I honestly think it is a little bit different. Lots of Americans enjoy reading their horoscope, but what percentage believe in them wholeheartedly and go so far as to ask you what your sign is so that they can tell whether they'll get along with you or not? But yes - it is basically the same idea. ^_^

Mike and DellaBeth Carney said...

Noooooooooooo!!!!

I've got a split personality...no I don't...yeah I do...I'm so confidently confused...

Interesting how we as humans tend to look more for "signs" in things such as the zodiac, our blood type, and how the numbers in our names add up to equal something. It's like Stonehenge. Everyone thought it was something like a time clock, an alien sign, something mystical when in fact all it was was a graveyard.

Sandra said...

So what do the pos + and neg - mean on the end of a blood type or does it matter?

The Biglers said...

Wow that is really interesting. I'm an A negative. I suppose the A matches me a bit. I wonder about the negative part. Lol